Saturday, February 10, 2007

Can You Think of Something More Embarassing Than Sober Karaoke?

Yeah, me neither. That is why I was merely an observer of last night's activities. Karaoke, in a Korean "restaurant" (not sure what it was exactly), in some strip mall full of nothing but Korean restaurants, way north of the city - this goes on my list of things I can only do while intoxicated - which means I won't ever be doing it! I am happy to say though that this is perhaps the only thing that falls on my list of things that can only be done while intoxicated. The list used to be longer. It used to include bowling and dancing. Ha ha!

Anyway, we were celebrating a friend's three year sober anniversary, there was cake, horrible singing, and good times had by all. It was a blast actually. People often ask me what exactly we do on the weekends. What could there possibly be to do besides go to bar and drink, or a club and drink, or sit at some one's house and drink? That's what I thought when I first got sober - what will I do with all of my time? Turns out I don't have nearly as much time on my hands as I would have guessed. My time is pretty much filled up between working, going to meetings, speaking at meetings, going for coffee etc. What do we do on the weekend - we do the same things "normal" people do. With the exception of going to meetings that is.

We have parties, we hang out at people's houses, we go to movies, watch movies, we go to dinner, for coffee, shopping, go bowling, do karaoke, go to comedy clubs, celebrate birthdays, weddings, etc. - we do what you do, we just do it all sober. I can honestly say that of all of the things that I have done both while drinking and while sober, everything is a million times more enjoyable if you do it sober. No question about it. It is even more fun to watch karaoke sober. It makes me kind of wonder what's wrong with all of the people who keep asking me what exactly we do on the weekends, like we are aliens or something - like it is so hard to imagine a life that doesn't include sitting in bars and drinking. I used to have a hard time imaging that - it is that point where you can't live with it and you can't live without it.

I remember thinking that right before I figured out it was a problem. Anyway, so far my weekend has been pretty much like everyone else's, I went to karaoke to support a friend, went to dinner, worked out, spoke at a meeting, and now I am going to a movie and then to dinner. Tomorrow I will go to another meeting, hopefully meet someone for coffee, do some laundry, and maybe clean. All perfectly normal stuff - except that I get to do it all feeling perfectly rested, without a terrible headache or a messed up stomach, and without any regrets (or unknowns) about the night before. At this point, I can't imagine any other way. My life has evolved into something quite normal and quite enjoyable, and although AA is an integral part of my life, it is only a part. I still have a life.

Just an update - my heat is still off!!

No comments: