So, it is February 4th, and -3 degrees in Chicago, and I don't have the heat on. This is a bit of a mystery to me - but until yesterday, it was actually quite warm in my condo - it has been a constant 70 degrees ever since shutting the air conditioning off at the end of last summer. Maybe it is because the units are made entirely of concrete? I'm just not sure - the hallway seems rather cold. Maybe it is because I live on the 7th floor and the people below me are heating my unit? I don't know. Maybe none of us have to turn the heat on.
Anyway - it's kind of nice actually. My gas bill is only 10 dollars a month. The gas company tried to bill me 36 dollars last month and when I called to find out why, she told me that a gas bill of 10 dollars in the month of January surely must be incorrect - and on the theory that "something must be wrong" they simply jacked up my gas bill without reading the meter. This has since been corrected.
I have to say though, with the temperature being in the negatives, my condo has gotten a little colder - about 68 degrees. Without turning on the heat, I doubt it will get warmer until winter is over. I contemplated turning the heat on, but instead I put on more clothes. It isn't that I can't afford to pay the gas bill if I turn on the heat - I simply think that if I can make it all the way to February 4th without turning the heat on, I must be able to make it through the entire winter. Who am I trying to impress here? As if anyone would be impressed by this. Am I going to let myself suffer? How cold is it going to get in here before I turn the heat on? It's really become a matter of principle, but a rather stupid one actually. Nevertheless, I will try to make it to spring without turning on my heat, just so I can say that I did. What exactly though will be the occasion for this conversation? "Guess what? I didn't have to turn my heat on this winder." "So."
1 comment:
Oh no, I would do the same thing. so if you make it all the way to spring, you will get a big Woo-Hoo! from me. A sincere one, really.
Post a Comment