I don't mean the holidays.
I mean my AA anniversary. It's coming up. You will often hear people say that some people "get weird" around their anniversary. I'm not sure what I feel exactly, but I feel something. I remember the first meeting that I went to like it was yesterday. I remember where I sat, I remember saying my name, I remember the things that people said to me. I remember all of it. It wasn't a blur to me. I went back the next day, but I didn't go back because I thought I had a problem with alcohol. I went back because someone said to me, "if you can change your attitude, it will change your life." How true that would turn out to be. I can't say that I remember it on most days, but I think of it this time of year and I wonder what happened to the guy who said it who didn't stay sober. What I will always love about a meeting is that you never know who will say the thing that saves your life that day. It can be anyone. For me it is often unexpected. All I knew at the time when I went back was that these people knew something about how to live life, and I needed to know what it was.
I remember my first anniversary like it was yesterday as well because it meant a lot of things. Among others, it meant that I had survived breast cancer. And I remember the first time I spoke at a meeting. I remember sitting in a room of people and having someone say, of all of you here - only one will stay sober. I remember how shocking the statistics were to me. And every time I walk into a meeting, I think how amazing it is that we are all there.
I like to go home every year for my anniversary, back to Michigan, and so far I have. So this year, for my 4th anniversary, I will do the same. I like to go back and see the people who were there the day I showed up. The sad part is that so many of the people are not there. But I always look forward to seeing Bruce and Bruce and some of the other regulars and people with a lot of time. The people who saw me change into someone else.
I will always feel more at home at those meetings than anywhere.
No comments:
Post a Comment