Thursday, May 29, 2008

The unstress of it

My job has taken a turn for the unstressful - or I've had a dramatic shift in perspective. I think it's the former. All last week I left early every day, mainly because I was sick, and took a day off. This week, it's just not that busy. I mean, I have work, but it's not piling up in front of me. I'm not complaining about being less busy - I'm rather enjoying it actually. And I wouldn't even mind if it lasted all through the summer, right through my leave. The only problem is that when things slow down, I lose all motivation. I become bored instantly. If I'm not drowning under work and feeling the pressure of multiple deadlines, I am a lot less efficient. It's just the way I am. In fact, I am sometimes known to really slack off when things slow down just to create some artificial time pressure.

So my last post I thought I was slipping into depression. And then the past couple of days I thought I wasn't. I actually felt really pretty good - almost too good actually - so good that something maybe wasn't right about it. I was going to post about it. But my mood changes so quickly that I can't keep up with posting about it. It's like I blink and it's not the same. Anyway, I didn't sink as low as I expected to. The only thing I can attribute this too is an all day (literally all day) instant message conversation with another blogger which a) kept me occupied, b) laid all my problems/issues out in front of me almost painfully clearly, c) made me think it isn't as hopeless as I sometimes think it is, d) made me realize that I have made more progress on some things than I think I have and less on others, e) made clear that I am suffering more than I should be, definitely, and causing myself a lot of pain, and f) made me think maybe it's time to, you know, try something different. It's now people. I need to do something now. And I felt really good for a couple of days. Really good. But it didn't last.

Today, I just feel blah again. Maybe not hopeless about my life. Not quite.

Anyway, I am unstressed, kind of blah, unmotivated, slightly bored. Sinking maybe again.

I had a really weird experience today. I went to the dentist and she had to numb me to do some stuff. Well, typically I refuse to go that route at the dentist and I tolerate the pain. I have let my teeth be drilled into before without being numb. I kind of think I have like an out of body experience when I've done this. It's like I'm not really present or something, I mean, it's weird, but you sort of have to maybe enter another state of being to tolerate the pain. Anyway, I went the other route this time. It made me sick. I was dizzy, I felt like I couldn't breathe. I'm not allergic to it. It was weird. When I got up, I almost passed out. I was walking to my car and I had to sit down, that's how close to passing out I was. I was driving home and I could barely stay awake. I got home, sat down and fell asleep almost instantly. Weird.

2 comments:

Julia said...

So I have the same exact deadline thing. Procrastinate and race. Smart it is not, but sometimes is very effective.

I've had those IM conversations. Lifesavers, some of them.

Not good on the dentist thing. Not good. Glad you got home safe.

niobe said...

I've had those out of body experiences. Not so much at the dentist, but when someone or something was causing me great emotional pain and, instead of dealing with it, I just figuratively disappeared.