Thursday, June 18, 2009

Talking about unknowns

This weekend I am walking in the Relay for Life in Dexter, Michigan, a walk to benefit cancer research. I am a bit leery of doing it. Talk about unknowns. Like I said, I deal with it by ignoring it. Immersing myself in it is not the way I deal with it. So I can't really predict what will happen. Maybe the wall I have built up around myself is impenetrable and I'll be fine. Or maybe it is paper thin and I won't be. I just don't know. I know for some people, raising money for cancer research, doing walks, volunteering, belonging to support groups - this is the way they deal with what happened. In general, these things are not for me and I tend to get annoyed when people suggest I join a support group. And no, I am not opposed to support groups, I belong to the biggest one of all right - AA, but cancer support groups are not for me. Sitting around and talking about it is not for me. Focusing on it is not for me. Making it a focus of my life work is not for me. Offering my experience up to help others just isn't for me. I don't think it ever will be. So this weekend is one of those unknowns that I was talking about. I have never done anything like this since going through what I went through. I have never been surrounded by a bunch of people who went through what I went through and to be perfectly honest, I am not entirely sure I want to be. I know it's maybe a weird way of dealing with it, but it's just the way I am. Will I be fine, or not fine? I have no idea.

3 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

uncertainty is an unchanging fact of life. the greater your capacity to tolerate uncertainty, the better.

A good way to tell if you are growing along spiritual lines is to assess wether your capacity to tolerate uncertainty is increasing or decreasing.

jodie said...

maybe doing something that is a little out of your comfort zone will work for you in a way that other things haven't :-) Although I don't pretend to know what you might be feeling on Saturday, I am there no matter what to walk with you and to celebrate your strength!

Anonymous said...

But you do focus on it...alot.
By the way I miss you terribly.
chf0ger@ymail.com