Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Day Off, What's That?

I have this thing that I need to finish ASAP for work - so I am posting instead. Ahhhh, procrastination - that means I must not be busy enough. Maybe I will clean my office next.

Anyway, so, I am taking this Thursday and Firday off to go "home", however, in my world, there is no such thing as a day off. The clients keep emailing, everyone wants everything this week - I see the days slipping away. At the very least, I will be chained to my blackberry, checking it constantly and responding to emails. This is probably not because I have to, but because I feel guilty if I don't. Nevertheless, I've taken Thursday and Friday "off," in theory anyway.

In my world, I call days off, even sick days, "days off in theory." In theory I can take as much time off as I want - just as long as I find enough extra days in the year to make up for it. In fact, I have spent the past two Saturdays working and will probably work next Saturday, just to make up for the fact that I have taken these two days off. The lack of real time off is probably the only thing I don't really love about my job and it's the only thing I miss about my previous job.

It would be nice to have a day off. A real one. One where I don't have to worry about finding 8 plus hours split over other days to make up for it. One where I can relax and shut my email off. The trouble is, if I actually shut my email off for two days, I would lose at least half of a day trying to weed through my email to pick out the important stuff. I can't remember the last time I didn't, at the very least, check email when "off" work. Even when I was going through cancer treatment, I would sit there in the hospital and respond to emails. Am I nuts? Or do I just have good work ethic?

Besides not really being able to take days off, I feel bad even asking for a day off because I took days off for doctor's appointments. The fact is though, I worked like 50 hours a week through the entire treatment process and only missed a day and a half of work because I was sick. The other day one of the secretaries said to me - oh so and so stayed home today, he didn't feel well. I thought - didn't feel well, didn't come to work - people actually do that?

This morning in our weekly group meeting the head of my group said to the group that I was planning to be out for a week or so. I'm not sure where he got this idea. I told him I needed a day or two to regroup after everything I've been through. I should have gone with it. I could have gotten a whole week without even asking. Try finding an extra week's worth of time though - it isn't as easy as you might think.

No comments: