Sunday, May 13, 2007

Did You Say 7-3-4?

So for some reason, although I live in Illinois and have lived here for over a year - I haven't wanted to fully commit to it - meaning, I haven't wanted to give up my Michigan residency, driver's license etc. In fact, up until a week ago - I was still buying cat food in Ann Arbor. My cat has to eat prescription cat food, which requires a vet visit each year, and until he was due to go last week, I just bought cat food whenever I went to Ann Arbor.

I've been driving around with my Michigan license plate and driver's license and am even still registered to vote there. I also have kept my Ann Arbor area code. Tomorrow I will go and relinquish my Michigan driver's license, and change my license plates. I have to, because my plate is about to expire on Thursday, and since I don't live in Michigan, I can't exactly renew it there and just keep pretending I live on Columbus Drive. Did you know that in Illinois, to get a driver's license, you need every kind of id on the planet? A driver's license from another state, your birth certificate, passport, social security card, a piece of mail proving your address...

I've never moved before and felt like it was permanent. I did a lot of moving within my home town and some temporary moving back and forth to Chicago, but I've never moved with the intention of staying anywhere. I've always wanted to keep that last connection to my hometown and I've always wanted to feel like wherever I was, it was temporary. But this is it I guess - I won't be going back there to live, probably ever. I am going to retain my Ann Arbor area code though. I am pretty attached to this phone number - I've had it for a while, and people all over the place in AA both here and there have it. I guess it's about time to commit to living here, and maybe to sticking around for a while.

No comments: