Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"For it is by self-forgetting that one finds"

A lot of people have been on my case for sometime now that I should get involved with some kind of cancer support group. Frankly, I am sick of people telling me this because it is something I felt I would do only when I was ready to do it, and other people suggesting it constantly doesn't make me want to. I have hesitated to do this largely because I am trying to live my life out from under the weight of what happened to me. If I am participating in some kind of support group - that is supporting me, I honestly don't think it would help me. I am sick of it being constantly on my mind, constantly weaving it's way through every thought that I have and every decision that I make. It colors everything. It is nice to have people to relate to, sure, and I don't have a lot of people in my life who have been through what I have been through - only a few, but this simply isn't what I need.

I have realized through AA - that the best way that I can ever help myself is to help someone else. It is selfish in a way, but at the same time you perform great acts of service for other people. Sure, I go to meetings to hear what I need to hear, but more than anything, I go to give back what other people have given to me - because you have to give it away to keep, as they say. Sure, I want what I want. A new car, and more money, a man in my life, children - but those things are not the purpose of my life nor are they things that are going to make me happy. I know now, after facing my mortality and surviving cancer and getting sober, that the purpose of my life has nothing to do with me.

Although I don't like to admit it, the best I ever feel, and have ever felt in my life, is when I can show up for someone else and help another alcoholic. My sponsor keeps telling me that I need to get out of myself - that is the answer to my problems - to get out from under the self-centered fear that plagues me - and she is right, because it is by self-forgetting that one finds. I love that prayer - the prayer of St. Francis. "...that where there is hatred, I may bring love - that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness - that where there is discord, I may bring harmony - that where there is error, I may bring truth - that where there is doubt, I may bring faith - that where there is despair, I may bring hope...."

I know from my experience surviving breast cancer - that this works much like AA, meaning that there is tremendous power in relating to a person who has been where you are at, and having that person tell you that you can do it, and you will be okay - they show you that anything is possible. It is what we do every day in AA, one after another, as we save each others' lives. There was a time during everything that I went through, when that kind of support would have been invaluable and I didn't have it. Many people don't. I have been blessed with a strength that is not my own, and tremendous courage and resilience. There are people who need these things that I have and so I feel like I have to give it away, the same way I give away the gifts of AA. There is a non-profit based out of the city that I live in - which does just that. It pairs you up 1 to 1 - a survivor with someone who has just been diagnosed, and you are that person's support through the entire process. The organization was started by someone like me - who survived cancer very young and who, also like me, had very little support.

I think what he does is amazing and so important, and what I have to give because of the experience of surviving cancer, is as important as what I have to give because I am sober. In fact - I think I have even more to give because I have both of these things. So, rather than seek out support for myself, I have decided to volunteer my time to this organization to support other people and give them what I have, my experience strength and hope, just like I do in AA. "...grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted - to understand than to be understood - to love, than to be loved. For it is by self forgetting that one finds. It is by forgiving that one is forgiven...."

2 comments:

Bridget said...

this is a really great post, thanks.

Most of Martha Woodroof in one place said...

It is so important to organize our lives around our strengths and our healths, isn't it? I'm heading into a rather frenetic day and I'm so glad I read this and can carry it with me.