Sunday, August 12, 2007

Observations on going "home" and coming back again, and what occurred to me in between

I've never done a bullet pointed post.

  • First of all, I need to stop buying yogurt. I don't like it and I never have, so why do I keep trying?
  • My favorite way to drive back into the city is north on Lake Shore Drive off of Stoney Island Ave. On a day like yesterday, when the sky is clear, and the weather beautiful - I love the skyline - that moment when it first comes into view. It's really amazing. The city up ahead of you, the lake on the right. I would probably like it even more if I didn't have to pee so bad by the time I got there, which brings me to my next point...
  • There must be a way to better time my liquid consumption with the rest stops. Perhaps the 20 oz. pop at the last pee stop was not a good idea, considering I had already had two bottles of water.
  • I need to stop calling people assholes in my head. Anytime anyone does something - for example, moves my cart out of the way at the grocery store (when I left it right in the way), I call them an asshole in my head. Or if they do something stupid while driving that affects me, I call them an asshole in my head. My new remedy for this is that I am going to try to remember to bless everyone that I call an asshole. You are an asshole - God bless you.
  • I still don't want Alcoholics Anonymous to be the answer. But it is.
  • Going home (like all things) is what you make it. Be wary of your expectations, both the good and the bad ones. "The outer world, far from being the prison of circumstances that it is commonly supposed to be, has actually no character whatsoever of its own, either good or bad. It has only the character that we give to it by our own thinking." - Emmet Fox
  • White cheddar cheese rice cakes really aren't half bad, but I fail to see the point of them. They have no nutritional value and it is what I imagine eating flavored styrofoam would be like. Yes, I did imagine this - the texture, the taste. I am also the one who once tasted a dryer sheet, just to see what my cat's compulsion was all about. Dryer sheets are like kitty crack to my cat. I frankly didn't like them. The rice cake could be used as a delivery mechanism for peanut butter though - a plain one anyway. But why would you ever use a rice cake to deliver the peanut butter when you could use chocolate?
  • My job is as stressful as I allow it to be.
  • I would be a "shoe person" if my feet were smaller.
  • Zucchini is not a vegetable I typically think of eating raw. It tastes like nothing.
  • You might not think so, but you are as judgmental as the person you are judging for being judgmental. There will be a post on this later.
  • Why is it that when you leave for 4 days your house kind of smells when you come home, but when you live in your house over the course of 4 days, it doesn't? Does my house smell and I am just used to it? Or is there something really foul going on in my garbage disposal when I'm not running water regularly?
  • You might think I am a freak because I still worry about money, but everything really is relative.
  • When I go to Ann Arbor, I realize I miss it. But I miss Chicago more.
  • My sponsor just might be the coolest person I know.
  • There really is something to be said for $25 hairspray.
  • I still haven't fully grasped that the answer to most of my problems is to stop participating.
  • I don't understand why people eat faux meat products. If you are a vegetarian, it is probably because you either don't like meat or don't agree with eating it - either way, why would you ever want to ingest something that resembles the very thing you don't eat? Soy beans and other stuff ground up and mushed into some kind of little chicken wing resembling thing. Frankly, if you don't eat meat to be healthy, well, I would argue for moderation instead. I have no problem with tofu - but if I am going to eat tofu, I want to eat tofu as tofu, not tofu masquerading as something else. I admit, I will eat the occasional veggie burger, for the sake of a really good veggie burger, but not as a meat substitute. I tried to eat faux sausages the other day (cause I love any kind of sausage - lately my fave has been tomato basil chicken sausage), I won't tell you what these things look like frozen. I'd rather eat no sausage, ever, than faux sausage.
  • It is ridiculous that I am still driving to work, but I have no intention of stopping.
  • I do complain, a lot.
  • I could be happier. I could be less happy.
  • Tomorrow I will have been sober for 20 months! When I went home this past weekend I realized just how few faces I recognized at meetings. Where have all the people gone? I remember being at a meeting really early on and someone saying - take a look around, only one of you at this table will ever have long term continuous sobriety. I want to be that one person.
  • I bet you are all wondering about the time I ate a dryer sheet.

1 comment:

tkdjunkie said...

I know what you mean about calling people "assholes" in your head. I do the same thing. It never occurred to me that other people to that too!