Dying for it is more like it. I need the break.
I have a major project due for a major client that has to get done this week. As of Friday it is actually 3 weeks overdue, through no fault of my own, but overdue nonetheless. When this thing goes out on Friday, it's going to be a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders. And I think, I hope, that I get a little bit of down time. A couple of weekends where I don't work. A couple of weeks where I can climb twice a week. I mean I know it's bad for my hours to have a lull, but if the work isn't there, it's the partner's fault and not mine. If the work isn't there it isn't there. And although in the end I will get blamed for not hitting 2000 hours if I can't quite make it I can't quite make it. Fuck it. That's how I feel. I know we are still busy, but without a major project, I am not sure all the little ones add up to enough.
Anyway, I told a little lie. I told the partner that I have to leave at 4:30 on Friday and I did that to make sure that the project actually goes out Friday at a reasonable hour. If I don't impose a definite end point, then I can't get the partner's attention to review it. Basically, the partner and I are opposite. I go in early and leave early he goes in late and stays late. When I say I am leaving at 3 pm that means I am really running out the door at noon. When he says he is leaving at 3 pm that means it will be a miracle if he actually leaves by 6. If I have a project due Friday, I am done with it on Thursday. If he has a project due Friday, that means 11:59 pm on Friday night.
So to ensure that I don't get stuck there on Friday night, waiting around for the partner, I have imposed upon this project a definitive deadline. If he knows I am leaving, then he will look at it - he will squeeze it in.
So, I have an appointment on Friday at 4:45. I just didn't tell him it's an appointment with the climbing wall.
No comments:
Post a Comment