Friday, August 29, 2008

On the same theory that

Sometimes I force myself to do things on the same theory that I force myself to go to an AA meeting. Any good AAer will tell you that if you don't feel like going, then it's precisely the thing you should do, and probably need to do. I apply this elsewhere in my life. Oh - you don't want to do that - well, good, now you are definitely going to. It's the only way sometimes to force myself outside of my comfort zone - which really only has everything to do with familiarity.

Yesterday I decided not to do the tightrope challenge because I am so sore from these other challenges. Then I said, wait a second, no, I am doing it - so I am signed up for tomorrow.

This morning, as I was laying there at 5:30 a.m. contemplating getting out of bed to go walk across a log, I thought, nah, this isn't what I want to do. I really don't want to do this. This doesn't sound like a good idea anymore. This sounds too hard. I don't think I can do it.

I mean, it's one thing to get up at 5:30 if you want to choose to exercise, or if you have to be in to work early or have a long commute. But it's something else to get up at the ass crack of dawn for the purpose of scaring the shit out of yourself entirely (granted there are other more important and more meaningful purposes).

I knew that I had to do it.

And so I did. And I did do it - I walked across the log 35 feet in the air, no hands (duh) and made it all the way to the other side. I even have pictures this time - someone was nice enough to take pictures for me on my camera. I also have pictures of the pendulum swing but not the pole - so I may try to run over and take a picture of the pole, just to show you.

So anyway, I did it - and I am so glad that I did.

Tomorrow - rock climbing and tightrope walking.

Oh - and a mani/pedi!

No comments: