Monday, June 11, 2007

Thirteen days and counting...as I get angrier by the second

It's been 13 days since I've been to a meeting. I only did this once before - went this long without a meeting. I think I went 15 days. That time it was because I was in the middle of breast cancer treatment, working like crazy, didn't feel that well, was lazy, was in between sponsors, and frankly, I was full of excuses not to go. This time it is because there are no English speaking meetings that I can get to where I am at in Germany. No wonder my mental state is in the toilet. I really underestimated the effect this would have on me. I would have taken this trip anyway - but I just wasn't prepared for it. Not sure how I could have prepared though anyway. I am reading, working on the re-write of my inventory, calling my sponsor...

I felt relieved though when a friend told me this morning that a friend of hers with 36 years of sobriety said he would start to go crazy if he didn't go to a meeting for 4 days. That makes me feel a lot better. Somehow, people outside of AA have planted this idea in my head that the longer I stay sober, the less I need to go to meetings. This just isn't ever going to be the case. Sometimes I hate this fact, but right now, I accept it, cause I really need a meeting.

So, basically, on day 13 of no meetings - I'm really fucking angry and completely terrified. I'm angry that I had breast cancer at 29, I'm angry that I've had nothing but shitty relationships, and I'm angry at my mother for never getting sober and completely screwing me up. I feel like having breast cancer has destroyed my life and I just have no acceptance that this has happened to me. None, I have none. Not only do I have no acceptance, I can't even begin to process it, even now, 6 months after the whole ordeal was over. I feel as angry as I felt the day I walked into AA. I feel like I can't live with this. I just can't live with it. I can't live with the life that I have been left with.

I am being consumed by fear - absolutely eaten alive by it. I am terrified that I am going to get cancer again and have to die a miserable death before I even make it to 35. This is by far my biggest fear and I literally don't know what to do with it. If this happens, I will not be able to handle it.

What happened to everything I know? One day at a time...etc...gratitude...it all went out the window about 6 days ago.

3 comments:

dAAve said...

Go to a meeting.
Whether or not they speak English is irrevalant.
Just go and sit and be there.

Mary Christine said...

Oh my goodness. Daave just took the words right out of my mouth. I have heard many people report that just being at a meeting - regardless of the language- was helpful. It is, after all, the language of the heart. Please go. I would be wack-a-do without a meeting after 13 days - it is not a weakness... just a fact of our lives.

EmmaL said...

Good advice of course. I should tell on myself. I am the creater of my own misery. Aren't we all? I speak German - not a lot anymore, but enough that I could have gone to a meeting, and found someone who could talk to me in English afterwards. I would have been mostly clueless at the meeting though. Still - this is what I should have done. So, why am I now in London, and still haven't been to a meeting? I need my ass kicked!!