I'm posting, cause I don't know what else to do. I have these nights where I can't think of anything to do. I feel restless, unable to sit still and unsatisfied with the options. No one returns my phone calls, there is nothing on t.v. I've already been to a meeting, I don't have work to do. I can't concentrate to read a book. This is the sum total of my life these days. I've pondered the hell out of why I am unhappy when my life is seemingly so great...and despite my best efforts, I don't have the answer. I think it is time to move on from this question. I would like to just say I am an unhappy person, but at the same time, I'd like to believe there is a little more hope underlying my misery. I would like to believe that happiness is at least an option. It's something I could have, possibly.
I imagine this is what depression is like. I think I've been depressed before and it didn't feel like this, but I think this is depression. My lack of motivation grows worse, I feel like I have to drag myself to do anything, I don't even want to go to work. I feel like my effort is pointless. Everything is forced. Truthfully, the only thing I really want to do when I get home every day is drug myself to sleep. Do I do this? No, of course not. Could I? Yeah. Why don't I? Cause I am clearly putting too much thought into it. I happen to like sleeping pills or things that make me sleep, so, I have to be careful. I have Lunesta in the house. Why? For the same reason you all save things like Vicatin and other narcotic pain killers you no longer need - just in case. In case of what? In case of a headache of course. I'm being extra careful cause I had a dream that I drank last night. It was just like I imagine it would be if I ever drank again. What I wouldn't give for a little relief.
Frankly, I am pissed because I didn't feel this way until I went on and then off of Zoloft (and it was a very brief experiment). To sum up my whole experience with psychologists, psychiatrists, mental health professionals - let's just say I am underwhelmed. I get that anti-depressants arem't supposed to make you depressed. Duh. But that is what they do to me. Now can you help me or not? Apparently not. It's great that I don't feel anxious anymore (though I am not sure why). It's too bad that not feeling anxious means I don't care about anything, at all.
The best solution I have been able to come up with to my current state of affairs - is to work more. I know that seems like the wrong solution - but I know that the problem, or the underlying issue is always self-centered fear, and when I don't work as much, I have a lot more time to feed these fears and focus on the negative. In the month of August, I billed 35 hours less than I do in an average month - that's like a week less of work, and I am moving at about the same rate this month - no wonder I'm all caught up in the misery that goes on in my own head. I've been spending a lot of unsupervised time there. The thing is - my job is the only thing that motivates me really because it is the only thing in my life that I feel like I am good at. I am good at it - really good at it. I could throw myself into it - see how fast I can make partner - there is so much more I could do there. My job is a distraction - and it works like a drug.
So, around and around I've been going, so desperately wanting to be happy. And this is the only answer that I have been able to come up with - looking at it from all angles - I am unhappy because I choose to be. Every day, when I wake up, I choose to be miserable. It is a choice I have made all my life, to look at things from a specific point of view, with a specific perspective. I could just as easily choose the opposite. Your attitude, how you approach a situation or a problem, how you handle stress and conflict, whether worry consumes you, how you are in the world, how you treat people - you choose these things. It shouldn't surprise me what a struggle this is - to make a different choice - after living my whole life from a certain perspective. It does amaze me sometimes how easy it is to know the right thing to do, but to consistently make the wrong choice. I think about this especially as it relates to our personal relationships - where the truth really lies in the subtleties of our behavior. It just goes to show you just how hard it is to make a different choice than the one you've always made.
And by the way, I was thinking today about friendships and the various things I have learned in AA - favorite things that I have learned. One thing I always like to remember when it comes to my personal relationships, and the wrong choices that we make - is that we judge ourselves by our intentions, but other people judge us by our actions. Your best intentions, they may not be enough.
2 comments:
I've done that -- thrown myself into my work to keep the various demons at bay.
It does amaze me sometimes how easy it is to know the right thing to do, but to consistently make the wrong choice.
I think I once wrote something remarkably life that on my blog.
I'd return your calls.
Service. Helping others acheive sobrirty, and having a life purpose of contant thought of others and how I can meet their needs is the linch pin of ALL my inner joy.
How many newcomers are you helping stay sober these days?
"Showing others who suffer how we were given help is the very thing which makes life seem so worth while to us now." (p124)
"If an alcoholic failed to perfect and enlarge his spiritual life through work and self-sacrifice for others, he could not survive the CERTAIN trials and low spots ahead" (p14)
"Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives."
I have a great life too, but I would lack the POWER to enjoy it if I did not:
"perfect and enlarge his spiritual life through work and self-sacrifice for others,"
""Lack of power, that was our dilemma."
as they say.
"We could wish to be moral, we could wish to be philosophically comforted, in fact, we could will these things with all our might, but the needed power wasn't there. Our human resources, as marshaled by the will, were not sufficient; they failed utterly." (p45)"
well thats what I find.
Hope you feel better soon!
Post a Comment