Sunday, September 23, 2007

What trying to forget about it looks like

I threw on some clothes and a hat and went to Target. I went there to buy water, a toothbrush and soap. I didn't need anything. I wandered the entire store. Thirty-two dollars later, I cried in the parking lot. I drove home. I thought about what I would wear later and whether I would buy a new pair of jeans.

The real test of whether I care is how much effort I put into what I look like. You know - they say - you have to look nice everywhere you go to have any hope of finding anyone. I think Target is an exception. Any guy pushing a cart around Target has to be there with his significant other. But that's what people say - you shouldn't go to the grocery store in your pajamas. I always put way too much effort into what I look like when I go to weekend meetings. Weekdays I look okay because I look nice for work. But the test of whether I care or not, would be if I went to the meeting tonight wearing what I wore to Target. Then I would know that I didn't care. But instead I am contemplating a new outfit.

I like to be out and about in the early morning in Chicago - no cars on the road, no people. It's nice to feel like you are the only one out in a city of millions. I can see why people get up really early and go down the street for coffee. It is peaceful in the city early in the morning on a weekend. I like to walk over to State Street from my house. But today I think I'll just drive over there and park at my office. It is peaceful though, before the people come out.

I have to say, that I used to think a toothbrush was just a toothbrush - I've never been into the fancy ones. But today, I bought a kind of snazzy one (due to the limited supply available this morning) - and I have to admit, brushing my teeth with it was like a whole new experience. Seriously - kind of wild actually.

So I have this thing for trying anti-wrinkle products - to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and to improve skins elasticity blah blah marketing blah. I am a total sucker for this because I am terrified of getting old. Why? Because I think that the older I get/look, the less likely I am to find someone. Do you notice a theme here? This should be the - I have no self-esteem and therefore date only assholes, can't seem to break myself of the pattern which makes me like myself less and by the way I am obsessed with worry over never finding a guy who wants me - blog. But that would just be depressing. Anyway - I am trying 3 right now. I know - I should try them one by one for say 4-6 weeks at time. I should be an official product tester. People laugh at me if I tell them that I try all these different products - they always say - but you don't have any fines lines or wrinkles. Aha - precisely - what if these products are working? I use these products on the same theory that many people believe in God. Just on the off chance that it turns out in the end that there happens to be a God, well, you will be better off if you believed in it. I can't stop using these products now - they might be effective. Stopping would be like the following, well sort of - I got an email from the hospital that I went through cancer treatment at - asking me if I wanted to participate in a study. It says - soy may help to prevent breast cancer/breast cancer recurrence. Are you willing to abstain from soy products for 6 months? Hell no. I'm going to eat it just in case.

I don't like to drive by the Greyhound station at night. Sometimes I forget and accidentally go that way on my way home from Target - when I spend a weekend night there wandering the isles.

Diet Coke with lime is good, but I can't drink the vanilla kind. I used to drink vanilla vodka with Diet Coke. Gag. There are certain things, flavors, that I will never be able to stomach again.

I have been getting some strange and interesting hits on my blog lately. I like to look at the statcounter and see what kinds of searches land people here. Thanks to my recent posts, apparently if you search "negative manipulative mother" you find me. And if you search things relating to dating in sobriety you find me too. God help you if you are newly sober and thinking about dating and you find this blog. God help you if you have been sober a while and are thinking about dating - especially if you are thinking about dating a guy in the program. In my experience, which has not been good - they are pretty much effed up. Now I suppose the same could be said about the women. I of course like to think that I am not all that effed up on the scale of effedupness.

Do you think honesty comes in degrees? Or is it all or nothing? Can I say I am 90% honest with my sponsor - or does that mean I am not honest at all? Is that like saying you are not 100% sober - in other words, it doesn't count? I may have to have a fessing up session with my sponsor here shortly. The sins of omission are eating away at my serenity. What serenity?

I think it may actually be the case that the more money you make, the less it seems like enough.

Have I been thinking about my mother or have I been able to forget about it? Only every other thought - in between every other weird thing that has gone through my head in the past half hour. I fluctuate between feeling okay about it and feeling bad about it. I haven't heard from her in a couple of days - and I may never again - I've thought about that possibility. And it's okay if I never hear from her again. But the fall makes me sad - that's for my next post...

3 comments:

niobe said...

Do you think honesty comes in degrees?

Absolutely. There are half-truths and quarter-truths and all sorts of other fractions. I think it's impossible to be completely, totally honest no matter how hard you try. Because truth is expressed in words and in translating what you feel and think into words, something is always lost or transformed into a new and unrecognizable shape.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

"Do you think honesty comes in degrees? Or is it all or nothing? "

Neither. Those two alternatives are too limiting.
Holding back keeps you in a retrogressive (and very repetitive) groove, regardless of how often you are honest with the less ego puncturing things.
Secondly, its the effort and the intention that betrays the caliber of ones honesty, not the result.
Going to any lengths? Well that's gold plated, lustrous and beautiful. Half measures? Looks as unattractive as it feels.
There is no need to reconfigure the 'terms and conditions' of the AA programme to fulfill a definition. every word in there tells you what you need to know. you need no further definitions.
I am certain, that you KNOW, without a ! moments hesitation, whether you are going to 'any lengths' to tell the ego puncturing truth.
See? There's your answer.

Nice to meet you Las. You have quite a bit in common with Ms Determined, tkjunkie, Judith at Vicarious rising, and myself. From the point of view that we all have family (and mother) 'issues', so I dare say we have quite a lot in common. (regarding our emotional profiles) The good news is that it CAN get better. But my experience is that the more stubborn emotional 'stains' will refuse to shift with a 'a half measures' wash.
We have to let go absolutely I'm afraid. Well that's what I find. ..If you want REAL relief that is. If you only want to not drink, well that's another story.

johno said...

Thank you for your comments regarding my course and progress :) I found your post interesting, I find Honesty and learning to be honest a journey in itself...

Do you think honesty comes in degrees?... no, I find there is appropriate honesty... "Such parts of our story we tell to someone who will understand, yet be unaffected. The rule is we must be hard on ourself, but always considerate of others"P74

Or is it all or nothing?.... no... I find that i used to have a tendancy to put my heart on my sleeve in all the wrong places or when I had the chance to be honest is an appropriate place, I wouldnt... self will run riot...I am making up the rules to suit me, control, running the show (or trying to)

Can I say I am 90% honest with my sponsor - or does that mean I am not honest at all?.... Yes you can say this, what you are saying is you are 90% honest and 10% dishonest. My question to you is why would you not be honest with your sponsor? Mostly I was not honest because I knew if I fessed up, its a "roundabout way" of me getting help... cos I knew I would get a suggestion given, which would mean I would HAVE to take some action. again an action against my self will, which is progressing TOWARDS letting go absolutely. And at the same time letting go absolutely on each problem/difficulty. UNLESS its something specifically about your sponsor? I suggest you do not delay, and tell her. If you are just afraid of what she will think of you or that she will laugh or reject you. Try telling the truth and see how you get on I suggest.

Is that like saying you are not 100% sober - in other words, it doesn't count?.... 100% sober is complete abstainence for whatever period of time you are refering to, whether it be 1 minute or 15 years. 100% sober doesnt mean 100% honest or 100% happy with being sober.

I may have to have a fessing up session with my sponsor here shortly. Why wait? You either do or you don't. Do not delay.

The sins of omission are eating away at my serenity. FEAR "This short word somehow touches about every aspect of our lives. It was an evil and corroding thread; the fabric of our existence was shot through with it" P67 ..."sometimes we think fear ought to be classed with stealing. It seems to cause more trouble."P68

I think it may actually be the case that the more money you make, the less it seems like enough.... I dont agree, when I believed that money would give me serenity, or happiness, then yes whatever I had was NEVER enough. Now owning pots of money are no longer my driving motive/force, I HAVE lots more money than I ever had, more than I need, and I am happy and serene (most of the time)

Have I been thinking about my mother or have I been able to forget about it? I dont know, the HONEST answer is probably both?

I dunno, I havent answered yor questions in a manner to provoke anything in particular, I just find that when I have asked questions like yours to myself or others , its has ALWAYS meant that I was wanting someone to CONFIRM that there is an easier softerway, and half measure will be ok.

I get out what I put in, I have learnt to be honest appropriately... with my Sponsor and a few other WELL recovering on the steps women to start with.

If you are anything like me, I can honestly say that any element of dishonesty, WILL hinder your progress!

Honesty, openminded, willingness and humility.

The truth will set you free!

oh yeh, and when I tell the truth, i often find another layer comes off and more is revealed, THAT which could mean that what I absolutely believed was the truth yesterday, I may find not to be the case TODAY! yet another teachable moment, and growth opportunity. to find that I can be wrong, and grow at the same time.

Surrender to win.

recovery discovery its lovely!