Saturday, September 15, 2007

My higher power, times seven thousand

The strongest thing that I can think of is my higher power. Imagine the strength of that, times seven thousand. What could be cooler than sitting in a meeting of Alcoholic Anonymous with 7,000 people - nothing that I can think of. 7,000 people saying the serenity prayer and the Lords Prayer. Years and years and years of sobriety. All I could think was - the strength in this room is amazing - indescribable. The power in the room - the spirituality - palpable. Talk about a great way to witness how it works.

I went to the big annual Chicago AA meeting tonight. I had never been to a meeting like that. I contemplated lying my way out of going (tsk tsk)...but a friend convinced me that it is actually cool to be in the presence of something so amazing and see the fellowship on another level.

I actually left there feeling renewed hope for myself. Maybe I am not destined to be miserable. I left there wanting to do service work - which is odd - cause I don't do a ton of it and seem to be unwilling these days. I thought - what am I doing whining and complaining about my life when I could help someone? I want to be one of those people who have what people want. I want to be happy, joyous and free as we say. I want peace, serenity and contentment. Those are really the only things that I want.

1 comment:

niobe said...

I want peace, serenity and contentment. Those are really the only things that I want.

Me too. I know we're in different places in many ways, but so much of what you say really resonates for me.