Saturday, April 19, 2008

Dark pink nail polish on a tile floor

You might just say - better than on the carpet, right? Well, yeah. But I bet you can guess that cleaning nail polish up off the bathroom floor is not what I wanted to do today. You would be right.

There I was enjoying my Saturday, having first been to Target where I purchased $75 worth of things that I didn't technically need, and there I was changing over my closet - putting away turtle necks and heavy sweaters etc. when I heard it. The sound of glass on tile. Now, wouldn't you think that a nail polish bottle could withstand a fall off the counter?

There was my cat, on the counter, an entire bottle of dark pink nail polish broken all over the floor. My cat finished his drink from the sink (he only drinks running water) and then proceeded to knock things off the counter. Whose fault is this? Well, mine. I know better and he's a cat. He likes to knock things off and like I've mentioned, I'm a messy bathroom person, I leave things on the counter.

It would be one thing if the tile were of the old fashioned type - that smooth, flat, kind of shiny surface. But no, of course not. The tile is the "modern" kind, you know, the trendy kind of bathroom tile (I don't really know how to describe it), which also happens to be porous. Oh, and don't forget how porous the grout lines are.

So there I was, hoping that I didn't create some sort of deadly gas because I had combined nail polish remover, Comet with bleach and Pine Sol on the floor - but feeling pretty confident that I would realize it before I passed out - scrubbing away, trying to get nail polish out of the porous floor, while my cat stood there and watched from just outside the door. It isn't my floor by the way - I rent this condo.

Anyway, I'm still alive and I got all the nail polish up - except for two tiny spots in the grout where I can still see the faintest hint of it - I'll have to try cleaning that with something else. I went back in the bathroom later to check on the progress of the floor drying and I thought huh, these tiles that I just cleaned with a nail polish remover/bleach combo - they appear to be a different color. Gosh, could the floor be this dirty without looking it (I mean, I do use a lot of products etc.), and wow, who knew grout lines could be that color? Seriously, wow.

I bet you can guess what I'll be doing two weekends from now with a toothbrush and a can of Comet. Heck, maybe I'll also throw a little nail polish remover on there.

2 comments:

Aunt Becky said...

Hehehe. I might have to take up your concoction to clean the grout between my ickle 70's green tile bathroom floor.

One time (you would never know what an intense science background I have) I was cleaning the catboxes, right? And they we're pretty bad, so I added a good helping of bleach.

Thankfully my boyfriend at the time came and rescued me before I died in that bathroom. Because, you know, cat pee has ammonia in it, right, which is an acid. And bleach itself is a base. And you don't want to add a base to an acid (you add an acid to a base).

The fumes were incredible.

Julia said...

Oy!
I knew there was a reason I do my nails so rarely. :)
Glad the fumes didn't prove deadly.