Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The light brush of hair against your shoulders

If you ever have the occasion to lose all of your hair (and I hope you don't - but just so you know, it is not as traumatic as you probably imagine it to be) - just know that it does not grow back as quickly as they tell you it will. I think they just say it's fast hoping that will make it seem less horrible. Well, it isn't fast. I mean think about it - your hair only grows 6 inches per year on average, so if you started with really long hair, it is going to take years. They tell you oh - you will really feel like it's behind you once your hair gets back to the way it was.

First of all - it does not start to grow right away. It takes about 6-8 weeks after the last chemo treatment to even start to grow. And remember that you are growing it back from literally nothing - this takes a lot longer than growing it back from a short hair cut. I have been growing my hair back for 20 months now. 20 months - and my hair was only slightly above my shoulders when it came out.

Now granted I have trimmed it a few times, and cut it once thinking I would keep it short - it would be longer now if I hadn't done that. I did like it short actually, but the one hair cut I got in the process was a really bad haircut so I just kept growing it.

Anyway, it is layered by default at the moment, definitely not even - it takes a long time to catch the top and the sides up to the bottom of the back. It just takes a lot of trimming to even it out. I've been growing it and growing it so that I can cut it if you know what I mean. Trying to get enough length all over and on the sides to cut it into an actual hair style. It still isn't as long as it was all over - though I think it's getting pretty close.

On Saturday I was getting dressed and I had a tank top on while I was putting makeup on. I'm weird like that - I don't like to put clothes on until my deodorant is 100% dry and I'm all ready to go, so I walk around in a tank top in the morning. Well anyway, I was getting ready and just noticed the light brush of my hair against my shoulders. I thought - how familiar, yet unfamiliar of a feeling. My hair is touching my shoulders. I hadn't even noticed until I felt it there.

I am happy to report that I am no longer growing my hair back. I have done it!

3 comments:

Aunt Becky said...

Hooray! That's great news!

Julia said...

Congratulations! This indeed is a huge milestone.

Tash said...

I haven't been here in a million years (sorry, bad month) so I'm just reading along here. This? Is fabulous. Really. So truly happy.