Today I am headed "home" to Michigan. I am going partially for fun and because I can since I am off, and partly for other reasons unrelated to having fun and seeing people. It sounded like a good idea at the time I decided to book the trip for 10 days. Now to say I am dreading it might be some what of an understatement. What the hell am I going to do for 10 days?
I am saving money by not staying in a hotel and not renting a car like I usually do. That means I am staying at least part of the time with my dad and borrowing his car. I probably wouldn't stay with him at all except I can't really disappear with his car for 10 days. My dad's sister told my cousin that my dad seems really excited that I am coming to town. My dad doesn't show excitement over anything, ever. I'm a bit nervous about it. He can be really crabby and difficult to deal with. I haven't stayed with either of my patents in like 15 years. I'm going to have to chill out a bit and go with the strange flow of how he operates. Otherwise I could go crazy. It is nice of him though to let me stay there. He even got a room ready for me. All I can say is thank god for the iPhone, my kindle and AA meetings. He doesn't have wifi so that means coffee shops to job search. I have much to do in this regard.
This is a bit of a weird trip home for me. Before I was holding out hope that I might one day get another job in Michigan. Not anymore though. My feet are squarely planted in NYC with the recent changes in my life. I've always had a hard time thinking of anywhere but Michigan as home. But not anymore really. Home is where I am at. It is where I want home to be. Given the recent changes in my life, this may be the last trip back for quite sometime. I have plans to go to Vermont in April and of course I am spending the month of May in NYC with Paul. Oh yeah, I also need a job and need to start working. You know, just a minor detail. That could derail all of my plans but that's ok. I am prepared for that.
So this trip home is sort of like a last of sorts. At least it feels like it. Everything is different now.
Oh I nearly forgot. I have to tell my parents on this visit the truth about what I am doing. That is going to be really really fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment