Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I wish I had something more positive to say

I suppose I shouldn't characterize this as bad, so let's say it's neutral at this point. My MRI was fine on the right where I had cancer and questionable on the left where I didn't have cancer. The spot that previously enhanced on the left is not there, but, there are two other suspicious spots showing up on that side that were not on my MRI 11 months ago. How suspicious, I can't really say. They aren't actually described all that suspiciously and if I had never had it before, they would wait 6 months and do another MRI to see if they are still there. I was told so many things yesterday that I don't know what to make of it. They see this all the time and it's nothing. It's possible to have enhancements go away, I have had that happen for example, but these two spots show up very clearly and everything else is quiet on that side.

It could very well be nothing, because MRIs are sensitive and like I mentioned in that last post, doctors don't like to do them for this very reason. Or, it could be something. It's probably more likely nothing, but because I've had breast cancer before, my doctor is going to biopsy both spots to check. Unfortunately, because I've had it, they will biopsy anything they see basically. And because I defied the odds the first time, well, we can't base it on odds alone.

These two spots did not show up on the mammogram or ultrasound that I had 5 months ago, and it can't be felt. I thought that was encouraging. However, my doctor said that it is entirely possible to have breast cancer go undetected by touch, mammogram or ultrasound. That's comforting isn't it ladies? Can we really trust anything to catch this? It seems not.

Anyway, I don't know when I will know anything and I probably won't post again until next week. So, if you could just keep praying, I would be grateful.

10 comments:

Em said...

Came here from Nina. Sorry you are going through this, and I will certainly send some positive energy your way. Take care.

Julia said...

I am sorry. This sounds pretty scary to me. I hope hope hope this will amount only to another excruciating wait, but one that will end with an all clear.
I will be thinking of you as you go through the biopsy and the wait.

niobe said...

Thinking of you.

Nina said...

Hang in there.

Also, I tagged you on my blog in case you want something to distract you.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Aunt Becky said...

Praying as hard as I can for you.

Lots of love and light.

Magpie said...

I'm sorry that you're going through this and that there's so little solid information.

All best to you.

Aurelia said...

Hang in there hon. The one good thing about this? They will pay extra special attention to that biopsy slide now, that's for sure!

Tash said...

Oh, I wish the news was better. And science was more definitive. You bet I'll keep thinking positively.

Benjamin Rubenstein said...

the waiting game sucks, but guitar hero passes the time just fine. I know you're thinking, "girls don't like video games." trust me, you'd love it.
ps: i don't work for guitar hero.

Amelie said...

Thinking of you.
I hope you get good news soon.