In case you only read the beginning of this post, I'm putting this up-front. I have a follow-up MRI on Friday - to look for new instances/recurrences of breast cancer. If you are so inclined - could you pray for me, please?
I am going to try to describe something to you. It's like hanging out with someone, that really means a lot to you. And you know that it's the last time you will hang out with them for a really long time, maybe ever. This might be goodbye, in fact, it probably is. But you don't like the idea of it, or the word even - you find it impossible to say, so you try to ignore that fact while it crowds out everything else until it's the only thing you can think about. The harder you try to ignore it, the more aware of it you are. This person means so much to you that you count down the time you have left. You count down the days, the hours, right down to the minutes, the whole time anticipating that moment when you have to let go of them. This person means so much to you that you just desperately want to enjoy every second, so you try to, you focus on it. You concentrate on it, the minutes, you hear the seconds ticking even. You are desperate to make it last. You try so hard to make those last days and hours so perfect that you fail to enjoy it at all. Before you know it, it's over. You've wasted the entire time anticipating the inevitable end. And you've anticipated it so hard that you missed the very thing you most wanted to savor. You beg for just a little more time, just a few more minutes - as if a few more minutes before the end can really mean anything or make any difference. You just don't want it to be over. You want to stop time. You desperately want this moment to go on and on forever.
Every second of the days that lead up to one of these appointments is just like this - it's like the last moment you will have with someone, and you know that it's over and you just don't want it to be, but you don't have any control over it, and try as you might to enjoy it, you can't because all you can think about is the inevitable ending.
Just try to imagine the very worst possible thing that could happen to you - and how your life will be ripped out from underneath you when it happens - and you know that when it happens nothing will ever be the same again. And imagine you know just exactly when it's going to happen and how much time you have until then. And imagine what living in those moments is like - the impossibility of it.
I honestly don't know how many more times I can go through this. It is an indescribable hell. I'll try again to describe it tomorrow, because I really want to find a way to convey it. In the meantime, I am counting the days, the hours, every second, one at a time.
16 comments:
LAS, since you know about my reverse prayer clause with the Almighty, I'll just say I will stare at Jesus without stopping until I hear that everything is ok. I know (a little bit) what this is like, as I have to go through it twice a year - but without, obviously, the history. One thing that helps me is to remember that I am paying people to know what they are looking for and try to save my life if the worst happens. Seriously, what the heck could have gone wrong in there since the last time? Not THAT much, surely, right?
There I was going on about my little stuff not knowing that you had this on your mind, sorry! Of course you are in my thoughts and prayers! I can't imagine your fear but I try to and I will send you all of the strength I can to get through it until you know all is fine again!
love,
Jod
"I honestly don't know how many more times I can go through this. It is an indescribable hell."
I was trying to fall asleep and your words kept going through my mind. Over and over. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. I know the feeling in a heart disease kind of way. At any moment, I can be told that OOOPs my recovery is over and it's just a matter of time before I'm dead. It's not really any moment, but I need a new echo for every three months for the rest of my life.
What helped for me, and I know that's me and not you, but I'll share it with you. Oh and as always, please tell me to shut the fuck up anytime you feel like it. So here's how I deal with it. I used to go to ACOA which has the same step program as AA. Anyway, I finally came to the give it up to a higher power thing. Y'know I can control my diet (not right now, but usually when I'm not binging on chocolate milks), my sleep, me exercise, my attitude, my outlook, which doctor I go to, etc, etc. I can fight a good fight. I don't feel like it's my time to go now. It will be one day, but by God, I want my kids to know that I did everything possible to fight PPCM and that I didn't go down without a fight, if I go down anytime soon. see: http://afterallthat.typepad.com/afterallthat/2007/01/dear_ace_bud_an.html
As to your question about how many more times can you continue, you will do as many as you need to do, because what is the alternative? It's kind of like when people asked my how I took care of three kids three and under when the twins were born. What were my choices?
LAS, I know it's hard and that your life has been very hard, but you have so many gifts, including your strength. I for one, believe in you so much. Take care and I'm still praying!!
Oh and a tip! Ask the radiologist's office to fax you the results as soon as they are ready. Because of HIPPA you don't have to wait for your Dr. to get your results and then for your Dr. to call you. You might have to be stern with the Lab, but you live in a big city so they should be up to snuff of the HIPPA rules. Go get them tiger!!
I'll be thinking of you on Friday, and if all goes well, you and I can get a celebratory mani/pedi if you ever visit my big city. Heck, regardless of the results, book a spa visit for immediately afterward, okay?
lots of prayers.
Strength, luck and solace -- wishing you all three.
Thinking of you and hoping you receive good news.
I am trying my damnedest, and I can't imagine it. It must be f'n awful. I can however, be with you virtually, and let you know that I am thinking of you tomrrow with everything that I possess, and hoping you make it to the other side of the that appointment. Only the best.
I'll be thinking of you. Much luck and strength.
I'll be thinking of you. Hope you get good news only.
Thinking of you.
Coming over from Niobe's to wish you good luck.
You are in my prayers.
i came over from Niobe's too -- and you are very much in my prayers, now, today, tomorrow.
Praying for you, hoping for you, wishing you peace and strength.
Most of all wanting a clean scan for you.
I'm praying for you, L.
love and serenity to you!
xoxo
christen in A2
Hope tomorrow brings you good news. You are in my prayers.
Coming over from Niobe's blog to say, I will be thinking of you and hoping for the best. And also, to add a prayer that a dear friend recently gave to me to help through difficulty:
-"It is written [Psalm 84:5], 'Blessed is the one whose strength is in You'. Bless me now with faith and courage. Help me to feel that You are with me, steadying and sustaining me with the assurance that I am loved. Be with me and bring me hope, that in the days to come, my aspirations may be fulfilled for my good and the good of those I love who depend on me. Banish my fears with the sense that You are always present, to uphold and sustain me, as it is written [Isaiah 41:10] 'Have no fear, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strenghten you, I will help you, I will uphold you with the power of My righteousness. Amen'.
Post a Comment