"We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot." Eleanor Roosevelt
Saturday, November 10, 2007
I've spent my whole life wishing
That I were prettier, smarter, funnier, more confident, more successful, more outgoing, shorter, thinner, that my hair was thicker, my torso longer, my legs shorter, my feet smaller, that I did better in school than I did, that I could sing, that I had some kind of talent, that I had never stopped playing the piano, that I had different parents, a different extended family, a different child hood, a different life, different memories, that I wasn't negative and pessimistic, that I didn't have anxiety, that I was married by a certain age, that I had had children by a certain age, that I had children at all, that I had a fairy tale wedding, that I had had something other than a completely dysfunctional relationship with every man I've ever dated, that I wasn't afraid to dance in public, that I wasn't so afraid of what you think of me, that some guy would want to be with me, that I hadn't been so afraid to be alone that I was willing to do anything to keep you, that I didn't hate myself, that I had self respect, that I wasn't afraid to tell the truth, that I hadn't made half the choices that I made, or dated any of the people I had dated, that I could take things back, that I could have been a better friend, a better person, and less selfish, that I hadn't tried so hard to make people like me that I lost myself, that I wasn't afraid to be myself, that I hadn't had breast cancer, that I didn't feel like I was always about to be found out or like the rug was about to be pulled out from under me, that I wasn't afraid to cry in front of people or admit that something is painful, that just once, my mother had shown up for me, that she wasn't an alcoholic, that I could tell my father the truth about being in AA, that I could stop pretending to be things that I'm not, and quit pretending not to be things that I am, that I could just be. All I ever really wanted, was to just be someone else.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
But I like you just the way you are.
me too.
everyone else's life always seems much easier, but each of us wish some things were different.
I wish you didn't have such a long list.
Post a Comment