Friday, March 28, 2008

How much does a donkey auction for?

Well folks, your guess is as good as mine, because we left the auction before the donkey sold. It was a cute donkey though. And there were no peacocks by the way. Drat.

I wanted to bid on some bunnies, to save them, but what would I have done with them? I just felt bad for them the way they were sticking them in boxes after people bought them. Stuffing multiple bunnies in one box on top of each other. Poor bunnies. Maybe my cat would have liked a friend.

I really wanted to see things get heated over the donkey. There was only one.* I really wanted to see people fight for it. I don't think I've ever been to an auction before - but an animal auction...this was something else. Even my brother admitted that the people watching is more entertaining than than the auction.

The guy next to me tried to strike up a conversation. He said, "so, what are you buying?" I said, "Oh nothing." He said, "what, you just come here to hang out?" I thought, as I whipped out my blackberry to check my email because I felt it buzzing in my purse, do I look like I come here to hang out? Although I did kind of blend in I guess, I mean, in so far as I was wearing jeans and sneakers.** So I said, "No, I'm just here with my sister-in-law's family." He said, "oh come on, you don't want to buy any chickens?" I said, "no, I don't live here anyway, I live in a big city." He said, "oh, well, maybe get a rooster instead of a chicken and you can throw away your alarm clock." I didn't say anything else.

I tried to take some pictures of my nephew but he moves to fast! I tried to get a couple of him looking at the animals before the auction started. And I couldn't really take pictures of the auction itself - I mean - can you imagine? To me the whole thing was slightly amusing, but that would have just been inappropriate.

*Well, one that looked like Eyore. There were two, but the other one was ugly. Actually, I think the other one was a pony now that I think about it. No, it isn't that I don' t know my animals - it's just, that's how ugly it was.

**Not that there is anything wrong with hanging out at animal auctions for fun. Not at all. We were there for the purpose of selling goats. I did also manage to remember to bring a non-fancy purse so I wouldn't stand out.

5 comments:

Magpie said...

How'd the goats do?

Aunt Becky said...

Hehehe.

Julia said...

So? Did your nephew get a bunny? What did he name it?
That guy is a real winner. Must get a lot of dates hanging out at the auction. Te-hee-hee...

Lise M. said...

Sorry we missed the donkeys too, but I made a tidy sum on those little goats - the 7-week-old does went for $70 each! The little buck only made $50 - girls are more valuable, you know! Thanks for enduring the auction with such good humor - come visit us anytime you need a laugh - next auction is April 11...

Bridget said...

I've actually never been to this auction, maybe you are more a part of the family than you know... :)